Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Minestrone- Lo's way

Buuuuurrrrr....I'm not sure where all my followers live, but here in Michigan where I live, we've had some very frigid temps. Cold winter days mean comfort foods, and for me that means SOUP! I saw a "Minestrone" recipe in woman's day magazine and it had a picture with it, for me I get inspired with my eyes first, I also taste with my eyes first. This soup was screaming at me to try it out, also when my daughter, Olivia, saw the clipped recipe on my message board, she asked that I make it this weekend. How can I deny a kid with a good eye for good food. I obliged. I didn't follow the recipe completely, just because I thought some of the steps were stupid (sometimes it doesn't turn out in my favor, but this time it was fine). So here it goes:

Ingredients:
Olive Oil
1 Onion
2 Cloves of Garlic
4 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
4 Carrots, peeled and sliced.
2 staks of celery, sliced
1 potato (medium sized) peeled and cut into small cubes
Thyme (Optional)
1 cup Ditalini pasta (any pasta will do though)
1 cup baby spinach (sliced thin)
1/2 head of cabbage in thin strips

Parmesan or other cheese for sprinkling the soup with when finished.
Crusty bread would also be delicious ( I didn't have any)

Instructions:
Heat the olive oil and add onions, cook until tender. Add Garlic cook for 1 min, stirring frequently.
Add Carrots, Celery, Potato, Thyme (if using), I like to  sauté the veggies a min or so, season well, using salt, pepper and whatever else you like to season with (I often use "everyday seasoning" by trader Joe's) , then add 8 cups of water (could also use half broth, half water) pasta, cabbage and spinach.


Bring to a boil.  Cook 10-15 minutes til everything is tender. Then let simmer. I like to let my soups simmer a bit longer, just be sure it doesn't over cook and you're left without any "juice". 

Serve in bowls topped with Parmesan or any other cheese & Crusty thick bread if desired.



It made about ten 1/2 cup servings for me, and per www.myfitnesspal.com recipe builder, each serving is less than 100 calorie. What? Get out of here! Comfort yummy food that is guilt free. Yes, please!
I hope you enjoy!

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment